This morning I have a great guest post from my fabulous “super sponsor” Karen of the blog Karen’s Soiree! Karen’s blog is all about fun party ideas and she even has recently opened up her own Etsy shop featuring some great party decor! Karen shares some great tips for blogging and keeping organized and on top of everything!
Hi! My name is Karen and I blog over at Karen’s Soiree. I’m so happy to have this opportunity to be guest posting today on You Just Can’t Google Everything! On my blog I love to share my party ideas and entertaining inspiration, but today I wanted to share my experiences of being a “Social Media Mommy”. Now, I know other bloggers have delved into this topic before but I thought I would share my take on it.
I started blogging in December of 2012 when I decided that I needed an outlet for my creativity. I used to do corporate event planning in my “former life”. So one day I just jumped in and started my blog and I absolutely love it. But boy, I did not realize what it takes to keep a blog going and how much you have to keep up with! Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Blog Hops, Link Ups, Twitter Chats…so much!! And if you are not keeping up with social media, you’re kind of out of loop. At least that’s how I felt.
It’s hard but I’m learning how to keep up. Sometimes I catch myself sneaking peeks at my Iphone while I’m outside playing with my daughter. I have to stop myself from checking Twitter when I’m out with my husband and I’m not paying attention to what he’s saying. Balance is something that I had to learn. It’s hard not to get sucked into the social media vortex! Sometimes you just have to close the computer, put the phone away and get back to life.
Here are few things that have helped me along the way:
1) Creating a schedule- Even though I am a stay at home mom, having a schedule really helps. I try to stick to times that I will work on posts, schedule some Tweets, Pin on Pinterest, participate in Twitter chats, etc.
2) Using HootSuite- There are so many social media apps out there but so far HootSuite is working for me for social media scheduling.
3) Setting reminders in my phone. This really works for me because I always have my phone with me!
4) Evernote App- to organize my random ideas that pop into my head throughout the day
5) TeuxDeux App- A simple to-do list app that transfers tasks that weren’t completed on to the next day.
6) Stop comparing myself to others! Be happy with where I’m at!
Once I started organizing myself and my thoughts better, I wasn’t so overwhelmed anymore. I’m able to focus better and I’ve even taken on new projects, like an Etsy Shop and an awesome new blog series. You never know where blogging will take you after you’ve started. Make sure you make time to enjoy the ride!
Thanks for the great tips Karen! I hope you will all take a moment to check out her awesome blog and her fun new etsy shop!
This month’s super sponsor: