This recipe came about when my husband was out of town a few weeks ago. I wanted to eat healthy, but I also wanted some pasta! So, I compromised by making a pasta with a somewhat healthier sauce. And my spinach and tomato tortellini was born! This recipe is very easy and quick to make. It’s also super kid friendly, my toddler gobbled it right up! This is a perfect weeknight meal you can throw together without a lot of prep work.
This biggest prep step you’ll have to do is to chop up the onions, saute them with garlic, and cook down the spinach. You could even cut this step in half by using pre-cooked frozen spinach if you wanted! If you’re really wanting to cut down on prep time, buy a pack of pre-chopped onions to use, because why not?
Spinach and Tomato Tortellini Recipe:
- 1 package of tortellini (fresh or frozen)
- 2-3 cups of fresh spinach
- 1 small yellow onion- chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 full tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can diced tomatoes (I used the garlic and basil flavored one)
- Optional: Parmesan cheese
- Cook tortellini according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large pan
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant (30 seconds or so)
- Add chopped onion and cook several minutes, stirring around
- Add spinach and cook down, you will have to mix it around a little
- Once the spinach is cooked down, mix in the tomatoes (do not drain) and cook until well heated through.
- Drain the tortellini and dish it out, then add sauce to each serving
- Add Parmesan cheese to serve