Guess what guys? It’s grilling season! I actually like food on the grill all the time, but summer just brings something special to it, don’t you think? This summer I’m pushing my boundaries by preparing even more delicious food on the grill. Why stop at burgers and hot dogs when you can make fun sides, delicious ribs and even dessert on the grill?
That’s why I’m sharing this amazing zucchini recipe today! It’s one of the best side dishes I’ve ever made and so far every time we’ve had it it’s been a huge hit with the group! It’s also easy to customize, so you can change the flavors to your own personal taste without loosing the main idea of the recipe!
Get ready for the most dreamy side dish ever! These are so easy to customize because you can use your favorite flavor of hummus to make it your own. You can also change up the cheese or even use fresh tomatoes instead of roasted tomatoes to make a completely different flavor! Try pairing the flavors with the other dishes you’re making, or just keep it simple!
How to make Grilled Zucchini Boats
Start by preheating the the grill. We just cook these alongside whatever else we’re making on the grill that day! They go well with chicken, burgers, hot dogs or whatever!
Prep the zucchini by cutting each one in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and center so they look like little zucchini canoes then spray with cooking spray of your choice.
Grill the zucchini face down for about 4 minutes, until slightly softened. Remove from grill and transfer to a plate. Top each zucchini boat with the hummus, tomatoes and cheese. Return the zucchini boats to the grill for about 5 more minutes or until cooked throughout.
- 3-4 zucchini (I like to do one zucchini per person, so each person gets two halves)
- Hummus- I use garlic flavor, but you can customize it with your flavor of choice!
- Feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 can of fire roasted tomatoes* drained
- salt and pepper if desired
- Preheat the grill. (you can just cook these alongside whatever else you're grilling)
- Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and center so they look like little zucchini canoes. Spray with cooking spray of your choice.
- Grill the zucchini face down for about 4 minutes, until slightly softened.
- Remove from grill and transfer to a plate.
- Spread hummus on each “boat.” Sprinkle with cheese and then top with the tomato pieces. Sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired.
- Return the zucchini boats to the grill for about 5 more minutes or until cooked throughout.
- Serve and enjoy!
*you can also use fresh roasted tomatoes from your groceries salad bar if they have it, I made it both ways and felt they both tasted the same and the cans are cheaper!
The perfect summer side! What’s your favorite grilling recipe?