This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SwansonSummer #CollectiveBias
One of my all time favorite meals is huevos rancheros! It’s just delicious and so easy to whip up, especially if you pre-make a big batch of sauce and keep it ready for action in the fridge! It’s also a versatile meal, you can make it for the traditional breakfast, but also for lunch or even dinner! My rancheros sauce is the perfect blend of sweet from the tomatoes and spicy from the pepper and uses Swanson Broth instead of water for extra flavor!
Rachel’s Huevos Rancheros
For the sauce:
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno pepper, blackened (directions below) (you can use two peppers if you like it extra spicy)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small to medium sized onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Swanson Chicken Broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- dash of lime juice
- 2 eggs per person
- 1 tortilla per person
- shredded cheese
- black beans
- prepared sauce
- Optional: sliced avocado, cooked and sliced sausage
First, blacken the pepper. Cut the pepper in half and place face down on a baking sheet covered with foil. Heat up the broiler in your oven and then broil the pepper about 10-12 minutes, until the outside is blackened. Remove and place in a paper or plastic baggy to cool.
While the pepper cools, make the sauce!
- Add the olive oil and cumin to a pan and heat up on medium heat, sautéing the cumin.
- Add the garlic and onion to the pan and cook for a few minutes until they are cooked through.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, salt, pepper and lime juice. Stir the sauce and allow it to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pepper from the bag. Remove the seeds and skin, then chop into small pieces. Add the chopped pepper to the sauce and stir it around. Cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and use immediately on your huevos rancheros or keep in the fridge up a month in an air tight container.
To make the huevos rancheros:
- Heat a small pan with a little bit of oil or cooking spray. Heat up each tortilla in the pan to make them crispy, about 1 minute on each side.
- Fry up the eggs, 2 per person.
- Warm up the black beans in a small sauce pan.
- To assemble: layer a tortilla, then a scoop of beans, then the eggs and a dollop of sauce. Sprinkle with cheese and any other toppings you desire and enjoy!
I used Swanson Chicken Broth for this recipe, which can be found in bulk at Sams Club! Chicken broth is a great thing to stock up on, because you can use it for so many meals. You can find more meal ideas using Swanson Chicken Broth here! Check out the demo happening nationwide this coming Friday (7-31) from 10:30 am – 12:30 pm. And, be sure to enter the giveaway below!
Thanks for checking out my Huevos Rancheros recipe! What’s your favorite summer recipe using Swanson Chicken Broth?