On Monday we introduced you to our yummy apple pie raviolis. So, today I wanted to share the homemade apple pie filling we made! My mini chef helped a little with this recipe, but a lot of the steps are really for adults or older kids so it’s not exactly a “mini chef” recipe!
Because we were using this filling for the apple pie raviolis I want to cut up the apples very small. I peeled and cored each apple and then sliced them into thin rings. Then, I helped my son chop them up into small cubes with our chopper. You can really cut the apples as small or large as you would like, depending on what works for your recipe.
After chopping the apples, drizzle a little lemon juice on them to keep them fresh while you do the next step!
For the next part, mix all the ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil, stirring some so it doesn’t burn. Add the chopped apples and stir them in. Bring it back to a boil and let the apples simmer 10-15 minutes. The filling will also start to thicken.
Use immediately for your favorite recipe, or store in an airtight container in the fridge 4-5 days. I’m not an expert on canning, so I’m not sure if you can can this for longer storage!
- 3 large apples, peeled and cored
- dash of lemon juice
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1.5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- dash of salt
- Peel and core the apples. Chop them up into desired sized pieces and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients together in a large pot. Cook over high heat and bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Add the apples and mix together. Bring the mixture back to a boil.
- Turn the heat to medium and allow the apple mixture to simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and use in your favorite recipe!
Enjoy! What’s your favorite apple pie recipe? I’d love to hear your thoughts on this apple pie filling, let me know if you try it!