Welcome back to Mini Chef Mondays! This week we made delicious star shaped “linzer cookies!” Although these are known to be popular Christmas cookies, I actually first noticed these cookies after we moved to Zurich. They sell them in the grocery store year round in a smiley face shape, so I’ve been calling them “smiley face cookies” all along! Linzer cookies are based off the Austrian Linzer Tart, but ours are make with a basic butter cookie dough so they are a little less traditional. My mini chef wasn’t too keen on photos this time, so I just have pictures of the finished product! To be honest, he was much more interested in playing hot wheels on the porch and only wanted to help with the cookie cutters and shaking on the powdered sugar steps! Oh well, you win some, you lose some.
For the cookies we used our basic Christmas cookie recipe as the base, the recipe is below. However, you can also use store bought cookie dough. (which was my original plan until I couldn’t find any!) You will need nesting star shaped cookies. We used the biggest one and the middle sized one of the nest. You can use a smaller one as well- it’s totally up to you! Regular Linzer cookies are circle shaped, but I wanted to do something a little different so we made ours super stars!
Roll out your dough and cut into star shapes. Cut out a smaller star in the middle of half the cookies, these are the tops. Bake the cookies and allow them to fully cool. Shake powdered sugar on the tops. Spread jelly or jam on the bottom cookies, then add a top to each one! Serve and enjoy!
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cups butter, softened
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or lemon if you want a lemon flavor)
- powdered sugar to decorate
- strawberry or raspberry jam/preserves
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla extract.
- Add dry ingredients and beat on low speed until mixed. Dough may be crumbly looking.
- Shape dough into two disk, wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or longer. If you leave it longer the dough will be very hard and you will need to let it come down to room temperature before rolling out.
- Roll dough and cut out star shapes. Cut a smaller star in the center of half the stars to make the "tops." (The cookies without the cut outs are the bottom cookies.)
- Bake cookies at 350F/175C for 11 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow cookies to fully cool.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on the "tops." Spread jam on the bottom cookies and then add a top cookie to each one. Let them set for a little while before eating so they can stick together!
I am hosting Mini Chef Mondays along with 4 fabulous bloggers, find out more about the Mini Chef Mondays Team!
Join our facebook group to find even more recipes and share your own recipes!
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well!
- Slime Stress Balls DIY Easter Egg Idea // Courtney’s Sweets
- Green Ombre St. Patrick’s Day Pancakes with Fruit Salsa // Finding Zest
- Tarin Snack for Your Thomas Obsessed Kiddo // Eating Richly
- Broccoli Pesto Panini // Vegging at the Shore
- Super Star Linzer Cookies // My Mini Adventurer