This week for Mini Chef Monday’s we tried our hand at some homemade granola and it is just so good! I’m calling this Valentine’s Day Granola because of the red and purple fruit we added to the mix. Plus, it’s super sweet, which is perfect for Valentine’s Day!
Granola is fairly simple to make, which makes it perfect to do with your mini chef! However, there is some stove top involved so you can decide which steps you need help with or not. To make the granola, heat the oil in a large sauce pan and add the oats and cinnamon, tossing to cook and toast for several minutes. Transfer to a bowl and then add the butter, honey, brown sugar and syrup to your sauce pan, stirring until the butter is melted and everything is fully incorporated. Be sure not to let it burn!
Pour the butter mixture over the oats and stir and toss to cover all the oats. Last, add the rice puffs and dried fruits. Spread the mixture out over a baking sheet to cool and harden for a few hours at room temperature. See the recipe card below for the full recipe!
This granola is sweet and goes really well with yogurt! You can also use is as an ice cream topping! To go a step further you could also use this as a base to make granola bars, which is what I’ll try out next time. Store the granola in an airtight container.
What’s your favorite type of granola?
- 1 tablespoon oil (olive or coconut)
- 4 cups oats
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 cup puffed rice (this is not the same as rice cereal)
- 1/2 cup dried fruit mix (our was blueberries, cranberries and cherries)
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan. Add the oats and cinnamon, tossing to cook and toast for about 4 minutes.
- Pour oats into a large mixing bowl.
- Add butter to the pan and melt. Then, add the brown sugar, maple syrup and honey and stir to combine. Cook for a few minutes, stirring often so it doesn't burn.
- Pour butter mixture over oats and toss to combine and coat the oats.
- Stir in the rice puffs and dried fruits.
- Spread out on a baking sheet so the granola can cool and dry out for a few hours. Store in an airtight container. Serve with yogurt, ice cream or just eat as a snack!
I am hosting Mini Chef Mondays along with 4 fabulous bloggers, find out more about the Mini Chef Mondays Team!
Join our facebook group to find even more recipes and share recipes too!
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well!