There are several pins on pinterest that show off red, white & blue jello shots, however very few of them include a recipe or how-to, so I thought it would be nice to share how I made my layered jello shots for my 4th of July party last week! They are fairly easy to make and were a big hit at the party! Pin now and save for next year’s 4th of July!
Red, White & Blue Jello Shots Recipe (makes about 45 shots):
You will need:
-1 3oz package of blue Jello
-1 3oz package of red Jello
-2 packets of Knox gelatin
-1 cup of coconut milk
-1/2 cup sugar
-3 cups (divided) of alcohol of choice (flavored or plain vodka works well)
-jello shot cups
First set up your shot cups. I like to spread mine out on baking sheets for easy transport to and from the fridge. I bought 2 oz shot cups from the party store. You do not need to spray with cooking spray or otherwise prepare the cups.
Step 1: Make the Red layer
- In a bowl add 1 cup of boiling water to the red jello, stir well until dissolved, let cool a few minutes.
- Add 1 cup of alcohol (I used whipped cream flavored vodka), stir.
- Pour into jello shot cups, spreading evenly across the cups so there is a layer of red in each.
- Transfer to fridge and let them set. Package directions say 4 hours, I let mine set overnight so they would be extra firm before I added the next layer! If you skip this step, your colors will mix when you add the next ones and you will no longer have a layer effect! If you are rushed I would let them set at least 30 minutes.
A lot of red, white and blue jello shots use whipped cream as the white layer. That is yummy, but here is how to make a white layer that is also gelatin and contains alcohol for a full on jello shot!
Step 2: The White Layer
- Add 1 cup of water and 1 cup coconut milk to a saucepan and sprinkle the Knox over it.
- Turn on the heat to low and stir well, cooking on low until the gelatin is fully dissolved.
- Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Allow to cool several minutes and then add 1 cup of alcohol (I used whipped cream vodka)
- Carefully add the white layer to your red layer in each cup. Mine was too hot and started mixing in some of them so I used a spoon to add it! But, if it’s cooled enough you can pour it (slowly!)
- Transfer to fridge and allow to completely cool and set (same as the red layer)
Note: be sure to use clear alcohol or white liquor for this step so it stays white!
Step 3: The Blue Layer
- In a bowl add 1 cup of boiling water to the blue jello, stir well until dissolved, let cool a few minutes.
- Add 1 cup of alcohol (I used regular vodka), stir. Allow to cool several minutes.
- Carefully add the blue over the white layer, slowly so it doesn’t mix!
- Transfer to fridge and allow to set before eating!
A few thoughts on making layered jello shots:
- Be sure to let the layers fully set before you start adding the next one!
Otherwise they will start mixing and you will have pink instead of red
- It is helpful to let the new layer cool a little in
the mixing bowl before you start pouring it in for the same reason as
- I recommend leaving your trays in the fridge until you are completely ready to add the next layer.
- I make my shots will half water and half alcohol. So, for a 2 ounce shot
(as pictured above) it is about 1 ounce of alcohol. Some people think
these are “strong,” if you want a weaker shot you can use more cold
water instead of alcohol, as long as it still equals to a cup.