Doesn’t it always seem like fall arrives overnight? One day its sunny and warm and the next it’s cool and foggy! Cool weather is the perfect time to have some nice hearty food, and one of my favorites is chili! I remember my mom making special chili filled potatoes for dinner sometimes growing up, and it’s always been one of my favorite ways to eat chili. This recipe is really customizable and easy to make with your mini chef!
Cook up your favorite chili recipe (or use store bought canned chili!). We make ours with ground beef, beans and tomatoes mixed with chili spices. Bake your potatoes until done, then cut each one in half. Cut the halves with a knife into criss-cross pattern and spread out so the chili can sink down into the potato halves. Top with warm chili and shredded cheese. Use large baking potatoes if you can (Russet potatoes)! Where we live the large potatoes aren’t available so I used the largest white potatoes I could find. They worked out okay, but the chili stays in the potato better when you use those large Russet potatoes.
Yum! What’s your favorite way to eat chili?
- 1 baked potato per person
- shredded cheddar cheese (or other cheese of your choice)
- For a small batch I use: 1/2 pound ground beef, 1 can red kidney beans, 1 can petite diced tomatoes, 2 tablespoons chili powder, sprinkles of salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Bake the potatoes until done, in the over or microwave.
- Meanwhile, cook up your chili. For my recipe: In a large pot cook the ground beef until brown, add other ingredients and stir together. Then, let it cook covered, on medium-low heat, for about 10 minutes to incorporate the flavors.
- Cut potatoes in half, then cut criss cross patterns into each half.
- Top with chili and cheese.
I am hosting Mini Chef Mondays along with 8 fabulous bloggers, find out more about the Mini Chef Mondays Team!
Join our facebook group to find even more recipes and share recipes too!
Join the Mini Chef Mondays newsletter to get the latest recipes delivered to your email each week! Don’t worry, we will only use your email for Mini Chef Mondays recipes, pinky promise!
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well!
- Melted Witch Frozen Yogurt Fruit Bark // Courtney’s Sweets
- Fluffy Pumpkin Dip // Momma Lew
- Halloween Monster Marshmallows // Finding Zest
- Caramel Apple Cider Milkshake // We’re Parents
- Easy Halloween Breakfast for Kids // Eating Richly
- Pumpkin Banana Bread // Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps
- Cold Sesame Sweet Potato Noodles // Vegging at the Shore
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Apple Oatmeal // O’Boy! Organic
- Chili Stuffed Baked Potatoes // My Mini Adventurer