Welcome back to Mini Chef Monday’s Back to School month! All month we are sharing back-to-school themed recipes each Monday! This week we made some yummy Rice Krispies treats, which I then turned into fun (and easy to make) lunch box notes. Make the treats together with your kids, then add the messages to the treats after they go to bed for a fun lunchbox surprise the next day!
Make the basic Rice Krispies Treats recipe. Melt the butter and stir in the marshmallows until they are all melted. Add the cereal and stir to coat. You can also add some food coloring to the melted marshmallows if you want to add a fun color to your treats!
Line a baking pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Spread treat mixture with greased hands, pushing down to evenly fill the pan. Allow the treats to cool before cutting up to serve.
For the lunchbox notes, cut up treats into squares or other shapes you want using cookie cutters. Use gel icing to write your notes on the treats. Allow them to dry and set before wrapping in plastic wrap or a sandwich bag. You can also store them in an airtight container. These treats are best when you eat them right away, or within a day or two.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 6 cups rice cereal
- gel icing tubes in various colors
- Optional: food coloring
- Melt the butter over low heat.
- Add the marshmallows and stir in with the butter until fully melted. Add the food coloring here if desired.
- Remove from heat and add cereal, stir until coated.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan, allow to cool in pan before cutting.
- Cut into squares, then decorate with the icing to make your lunch box notes!
I am hosting Mini Chef Mondays along with 8 fabulous bloggers! Read how Mini Chef Mondays started, plus how to link up!
Join our facebook group to find even more recipes and share recipes too!
Join the Mini Chef Mondays newsletter to get the latest recipes delivered to your email each week! Don’t worry, we will only use your email for Mini Chef Mondays recipes, pinky promise!
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well!
- Strawberry Banana Yogurt Recipe // Courtney’s Sweets
- 3 Easy Back to School Breakfast Ideas // Momma Lew
- Homemade French Toast Sticks // Finding Zest
- Brown Sugar Banana Oatmeal Recipe // We’re Parents
- Microwave Omelette To Go Recipe // Eating Richly
- 10 Quick and Easy Back-to-School Breakfast Ideas // Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps
- Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches // Vegging at the Shore
- Healthy Zucchini Cookies // O’Boy! Organic
- Fresh Rice Krispies Treats Lunch Box Notes // My Mini Adventurer