Welcome back to Mini Chef Mondays! We’ve had some computer issues this week, but I was able to get it together in time to post these fun Easter cookies! A few weeks ago we made star shaped linzer cookies and while we were making those I noticed my Easter egg shaped cookie cutter, which gave me the idea for these cookies! I thought it would be cute to make egg shaped cookies, with a circle cut out to represent the yoke! You could make these for Easter or even for a fun April Fools Day fake out cookie!
The cookies are easy enough to make! Mix the ingredients to make the dough. Divide into thirds and wrap each third in plastic wrap to cool in the fridge for about an hour.
Roll cooled dough out on a floured cutting board to about 1/4 inch thickness. This dough is very hard coming out of the fridge so you may need to let the dough sit at room temperature for a little while before rolling. Use an Easter Egg shaped cookie cutter to cut the dough into eggs. Use a small circle cookie cutter to make circle cut out in half the eggs. Bake cookies and then let them cool fully.
To finish the cookies, spread yellow icing on the bottom cookies (the ones without the circle cut outs). You could also use a yellow or light orange jam such as orange, peach or lemon. Top with the “top” half to complete the cookies. If you want them extra sweet you could also spread white icing over the top cookies.
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- Yellow icing or jam of choice (we made icing with powdered sugar, a splash milk and yellow food coloring)
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the egg, baking powder, salt, vanilla. Beat until combined.
- Add the flour and stir until combined. Dough will be slightly crumbly.
- Divide dough into thirds and form into flat disk with your hands. Wrap each disk with plastic wrap and cool in the fridge until firm, about an hour.
- Roll dough out and cut out cookies with egg shaped cutter.
- Use a small circle shaped cutter to make a circle in half the eggs for the "yolk."
- Bake cookies at 350F for 10-12 minutes. Cool on cooling rack before adding icing.
- Ice the "bottom" cookies with yellow icing. Top with the "top" cookies. Then, enjoy!
I am hosting Mini Chef Mondays along with 4 fabulous bloggers, find out more about the Mini Chef Mondays Team!
Join our facebook group to find even more recipes and share your own recipes!
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well!
- Mandarin Orange Jello Salad Recipe // Courtney’s Sweets
- Chocolate Robot Cupcake Topper // Finding Zest
- Goat Cheese Stuffed Proscuitto Wrapped Asparagus Recipe // Eating Richly
- Waffles with Strawberry Sauce // Vegging at the Shore
- Easter “Egg” Cookies // My Mini Adventurer