It has recently come to my attention that my dog has a few more years of training than my kid does. Meaning, he listens and understand when we say NO, amongst other things! Not to mention that he doesn’t try to open the oven and stick his hand (paw) in while it’s on! But that’s a different story!
So, here are 5 things my dog understands that my kid doesn’t.
1. “Leave it!” This command is one my dog knows very well! You could put a t-bone steak in front of him and say “leave it” and he would, seriously, leave it until you told him it was ok to take! My son on the other hand… well, let’s just say he has grabby hands! He’ll grab your cup off the table, your phone while you’re on it, food right out of your hand that you are about to take a bite of!
2. “Stay!” My dog, for the most part will stay, or at the very least sit for a good minute when you tell him to. My son, does not understand this concept. This presents a problem when you are trying to do things like say, open the oven, drain hot pasta, do the dishes (you get the point)!
(found a flask daddy got as a groomsman gift at a wedding)
3. “Drop it!” This is a really good one for when you dog tries to eat something less-than-pleasant that they find out in the yard, or maybe something valuable in your house. Rocky is pretty good at this one, Carter on the other hand, not so much! Remember grabby hands? Carter just loves to pick up and play with the things that are the most dangerous! Just the other day he got into his teething tablets bottle, tried to drink shampoo and of course tried to grab the knifes out of the dishwasher! This is where “drop it” would come in handy.
4. “Ready” Ready is Rocky’s key word to go outside for the bathroom. He knows that word means its time to do his business. Not that we are trying to potty train Carter yet, but I am certain he isn’t even close to this kind of potty control!
(Yes, thats the coffee table)
5. “Off!” Rocky knows where is supposed to go and not go (like the couch) and he knows what we mean by off! Carter is still exploring where he is supposed to go and where he isn’t allowed to go- like up the stairs by himself or on top of the dining room table, for example! I will say though, that Rocky IS sometimes bad a gets on the couch when we aren’t in the room!
But dang, aren’t they both so cute?!?
Linking up here:
This month’s super sponsor: