My son has been really getting into play dough recently so I thought it would be fun to try some festive play dough out! Play dough is actually really easy to make on your own, and you can customize it in so many ways! Peppermint is the perfect scent for a holiday themed play dough!
Peppermint Play dough is a favorite around here! Simply add all the ingredients together, mix, cook until formed and the knead until smooth. The full recipe is at the bottom of this post.
Play dough is such a fun sensory activity for kids. And it’s awesome that you can make it at home whenever you need a fun activity! There’s so many ways to play with it, too! Our favorite method right now is trying out different cookie cutters.
Ta-da! This dough is smooth and soft and smells oh so good with just a hint of peppermint!
Be sure to store the dough in an airtight container or zip-lock baggie so it doesn’t dry out between play.
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of water
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract (a dash more if you really want the scent to pop!)
- 4-6 drops of green food coloring (depending on how dark you want it!)
- medium saucepan
- measuring spoons and cups
- Mix everything in a medium saucepan, mix until almost smooth
- Cook over medium heat, stirring the whole time! Don’t walk away or it will burn!
- As it cooks it will start to thicken and become a lump in the middle of the pan, when it’s all (or almost all) formed together then it’s done cooking!
- Dump it out onto a cutting board or similar flat and clean surface. Knead until smooth- careful, it will be hot!
- Allow the dough to cool before letting your kids play with it.