My son has been really getting into play dough recently so I thought it would be fun to try some festive play dough out! Play dough is actually really easy to make on your own, and you can customize it in so many ways! Peppermint is the perfect scent for a holiday themed play dough!
Peppermint Play Dough (salt dough):
What you need:
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of water
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract (a dash more if you really want the scent to pop!)
- 4-6 drops of green food coloring (depending on how dark you want it!)
What to do:
- Mix everything in a medium saucepan, mix until almost smooth
- Cook over medium heat, stirring the whole time! Don’t walk away or it will burn!
- As it cooks it will start to thicken and become a lump in the middle of the pan, when it’s all (or almost all) formed together then it’s done cooking!
- Dump it out onto a cutting board or similar and knead until smooth- careful, it will be hot!
- Allow the dough to cool before letting your kids play with it.
Our favorite method right now is trying out different cookie cutters.
Ta-da! This dough is smooth and soft and smells oh so good with just a hint of peppermint!
Be sure to store the dough in an airtight container or zip-lock baggie so it doesn’t dry out between play.