It’s just a month until the 4th of July, but it’s not too early to start planning your patriotic themed menu! With our red, white a blue jello shots (for adults only!) being so popular, I thought it would be fun to make a kids version with my mini chef! These jello cups would be a great cool treat to enjoy while watching the fireworks!
To make the cups you have to make each layer separately, which does take a little patience! If your mini chef is low on patience you can make the first layer ahead of time, such as the night before, so there is less waiting time for them! Prepare the red layer first and let it set in the fridge, at least a few hours before moving on to the white layer. The white layer is prepared using Knox gelatin and coconut milk. Last, you’ll top it off the the blue layer! Top with whipped cream and 4th of July sprinkles for extra fun if you’d like!
Recipe Note: I find the white layer to be a little lacking in flavor, personally. As a solution I would (next time) add 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract to vamp up the coconut flavor.
Serve in see through cups to enjoy the red, white and blue fun!
- 1 package blue Jello
- 1 package red Jello (strawberry or cherry for bright red, black cherry for darker red as shown here)
- 2 packets Knox gelatin
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Optional: whipped cream and sprinkles for topping
- Prepare red Jello according to package directions. Divide between 6 clear cups. Allow to cool and set in the fridge a few hours before starting next layer.
- Prepare white layer. Add coconut milk to a saucepan and sprinkle Knox over it. Let it sit a few minutes to bloom. Heat over low heat and stir gelatin until dissolved. Remove from heat and add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Add 1 cup of cold water. Allow to cool about 10 minutes in the fridge.
- Carefully add the white layer over the red layer in each cup. Cool in fridge several hours until set.
- Once white layer is set, prepare the blue layer according to package instructions. Carefully add the blue layer over the white layer in each cup. Cool in fridge until set.
I am hosting Mini Chef Mondays along with 4 fabulous bloggers, find out more about the Mini Chef Mondays Team!
Join our facebook group to find even more recipes and share your own recipes!
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well!